- All documents must be ORIGINALS with original signatures or a CERTIFIED COPY.
- A 2 X 2 inch space on the last page of the document and a 1 x 1 inch space at the top of each page must be provided for recording purposes.
- Rhode Island does NOT record by county. Recordings are to be sent to the appropriate City or Town recording office of the PROPERTY ADDRESS. All documents are returned immediately upon recording.
- A Clerk is available to record documents from 8:30 to 3:30 Monday thru Friday
- If you are mailing in your document, please send to Property Records 43 Broadway Newport, R.I. 02840. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your prompt document return.
- Must be an original executed document with all original signatures
- All signatures must be notarized
- Must have Grantee’s complete address
- When there is no consideration, the deed shall contain the following language:
“Consideration is such that no documentary stamps are required”
- When there is consideration over $100, the conveyance tax rate is $4.60 per thousand, rounded to the nearest $500. Please refer to the Rhode Island Conveyance Tax Table pdf for tax that is due upon recording:
- A reference to R.I.G.L. 23-28.35-1 (Smoke Detector Law) must be incorporated into the deed. This statute does not apply to individual timeshare deeds
Assignment & Discharge of Mortgage
- Must reference the mortgagor in the document
- Must reference the original Mortgage Book & Page
- Must reference the Property Address
For additional information, please call 401-845-5334 or email firstname.lastname@example.org